What happens when we idolize celebrities? Idolizing celebrities removes a person from his or her reality, because the true reality is away from where the “star” is located. The “star” is living a life somewhere else, and the idolizing person lives in a place between reality and fairy tale.
Fairy tale living is half-living that renders the idolizer removed from reality and removed from time. Idolizing excessively creates facsimiles of the people doing the idolizing and of the people being idolized. Neither facsimile is real.
Obsessively desiring to be like a celebrity prevents a person from seeing his or her own talents. When a celebrity’s achievements spur others to achieve their own goals, the teaching is uplifting. When the celebrity’s achievements become obsessions without causing positive results for the idolizer, the worship becomes destructive.
Celebrities can spread entertainment, innovation and information, but their lives are not worth idolizing. Their lives have corners that others cannot see, and the truth of their existences is often not so shiny.
Here are celebrity obsessive behaviors that cause removal from one’s own life:
- Displaying a holiday card of the family of a celebrity financial planner as if you know this family is removal from your own life.
- Following the tweets and instagrams of a celebrity instead of communications from family and friends is removal from your own life.
- Changing your appearance or buying clothes you can’t afford to look like a celebrity is removal from your own life.
- Changing your activities to watch a “star” walk by is removal from your own life.
- Abandoning principles and close people for the chance of spending time with a celebrity is removal from your own life.
Looking beyond oneself for inspiration is normal human behavior. Watching elders teaches customs and traditions. Listening to others with skills or knowledge as a way to improve one’s own skills or knowledge is useful. Studying the achievements of a person who has impacted others in a positive way is enlightening.
Note: Spirit shares this information as a reminder for each of us to develop our own soulfully gifted talents.