This post is not about the vitamins and minerals in unprocessed foods. It is about the health benefits that occur when unprocessed foods are prepared. The more a person is involved in creating the meal he or she eats, the more uplifting and balancing the experience of eating.
We’ll use the snapping of green beans as our example. Green beans can be purchased in cans and in bags, ready for cooking, or even already cooked. The prepared green beans do provide nutritional value, but the benefits of preparing them from scratch are lost.
Here’s what happens when a person sorts and snaps fresh green beans:
- Muscles in the hands and arms are exercised.
- Muscles of the hands and eyes are coordinated (as in an exercise for fine motor skills).
- Muscles in the neck are lengthened.
- Muscles in the abdomen are tightened, especially if the work is performed while standing.
- Muscles supporting the spine are exercised.
- Muscles in the shoulder blade area and chest are coordinated.
- Muscles that are used during breathing are relaxed because the action of snapping beans causes a slowing of the breathing (if the person is not rushed).
- Muscles of the oblique groups of abdominal muscles and the reabsorption of water in the kidneys synchronize to optimize urine production.
- Muscles of the upper and lower torso move in syncopation, which strengthens and stretches them.
- Muscles in the face rejuvenate when movements are focused on the work. (Talking on a phone while preparing the food cancels this benefit. Singing while preparing the food does not cancel this benefit.).
- Many other muscles and body parts are strengthened and stretched as well.
The list above presents physical benefits from sorting and snapping fresh green beans. Here are benefits to the other components of health:
- Emotional balancing occurs when the work is done with a generous intention.
- Spiritual balancing occurs through connection with whole foods.
- If the work is done with family members, opportunities can arise for heartfelt conversations.
- The food is personalized; in other words, its role as nutrition provider is elevated.
- The color, texture, and shapes of the green beans at the various stages of preparation affect the senses in favorable ways.
The more a person is involved in creating the meal he or she eats, the more uplifting and balancing the experience of eating.
The benefits of preparing food from scratch cannot be overstated. Having a personal relationship with the food you eat is worth the time and effort.
(This post is dedicated to my friends and family who hadn’t realized the benefits that come from taking the time to prepare meals from scratch. ♥)
Note: This blog post has been spiritually received.