Giving up sugar doesn’t mean giving up sweet treats.
A couple days ago, I signed a contract to overcome cravings by giving up sugar (see the post “My Contract for Overcoming Cravings“). I still eat fruit and use sweeteners such as unprocessed honey, agave, and maple syrup.
Here is a recipe for a mock ice cream that doesn’t feed the sugar beast, and satisfies the desire for sweetness. It’s on my Yumtritious Eating! blog.
About one and a half cups, for 3-4 small servings
2 large frozen bananas
juice from 1 or 2 tangerines or clementines to make 1/3 cup juice
1 1/2 Tbsp carob powder
- Juice the tangerines or clementines and measure out 1/3 cup juice. Pour into a food processor with the S blade.
- Add the carob powder to the food processor.
- Preferably, the bananas were cut into chunks before they were put into the freezer. If not, cut the frozen bananas into medium-size pieces. Add the banana pieces to the food processor.
- Process the ingredients until smooth. Process the mixture quickly so that it doesn’t melt. You might need to stir by hand to mix in all the juice and carob powder.
- Spoon into dishes and serve immediately! Yumtritious!
I’m going to make a sweet treat with strawberries this afternoon. If it turns out yummy (because for sure it will be nutritious), I’ll post it on Yumtritious Eating!