- Is going to the mall satisfying for the soul? No, not even to people who love shopping (even if they think so).
- Is playing game apps or watching viral videos satisfying for the soul? No, not even if the viral video is about a wonderful person.
- Is sitting at a restaurant satisfying for the soul? It can be, if you are sitting with people who are enriching, but the atmosphere at any restaurant is not enriching for the soul.
Connecting with nature is satisfying for the soul. It just is, because we were designed to be part of nature. Along the way, we lost the importance of our place in nature and we need to get it back. In general, our lives have become very cut off from nature, especially for those who live in large cities or spend too much time in cars or public transportation. There are people who work at staying connected, but they are not the majority.
How to reconnect with nature
- Plan regular hikes and actually go on the hikes. The hikes don’t have to be long, but they should be in green spaces.
- Visit parks and nature areas.
- Visit humane zoos and petting zoos. Contact with animals is an important part of connecting with nature.
- Shop at farmers’ markets and find farms that have fruit picking. And go pick fruit!
- Add more plants and potted flowers inside your home.
- Visit places with water: beaches, lakes, rivers, and springs.
- Visit botanical gardens.
Try being more connected to nature and see how entertaining it can be. And at the same time, your soul with be nourished and you will become more balanced.
Comments on: "Connecting with nature" (3)
I read this post this morning after going on an evening hike at Turkey Mountain last night. So true about the satisfaction you can easily get from just traipsing through the woods:)
Is that where you took me when I visited?
Yes! The only mountain in Tulsa:)